PSY-PGx will develop a new personalized approach for clinical medication prescription in psychiatry by:
- Assessing data from the FinnGen Research Project and the UK Biobank for the relationship between pharmacogenetic data and clinical outcome in psychiatric patients. A first medication prescription algorithm will be set-up based on machine learning approaches.
- Performing a Clinical Study comparing individualized medication prescription based on pharmacogenetics in psychiatric patients to treatment as usual (i.e. in trial-and-error ways), with patient assessed recovery as primary endpoint (RAS: recovery assessment scale). Its outcome will be analyzed and added to already available dosing guidelines.
- Collecting individual patient characteristics during the Clinical Study to identify additional factors that influence individual medication response by deeply phenotyping patients including passive monitoring for behavioral aspects.
- Applying machine learning to further develop the medication prescription algorithm (that was developed in step 1) to personalize treatment in psychiatry.
- Setting up a PSY-PGx DNA biobank and a cellular biobank to allow for future pharmacogenetic research infrastructure.